Tips to Beat Spring Allergies
Spring has officially arrived! Today, we can’t help but be excited for the warmer temperatures, blooming cherry blossoms and vacation plans that this season will bring. However, for many people with allergies, spring is spent suffering from stuffy noses, itchy eyes and constant sneezing.
Dr. Rachel Schreiber, Allergist at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, shares the following tips on how to beat spring allergies so you can enjoy this season to its full potential, despite the pollen count!
- Keep windows closed and run the air conditioning instead.
- If possible, limit time spent outdoors.
- Shower before going to bed and after being outside.
- Change your clothes after being outside.
- Do not hang laundry outside.
- Remember your pet can bring pollen back into the house; you may want to bathe him or her more frequently.
- Wash hands thoroughly and often. Avoid touching your eyes and nose.
- Consider taking over-the-counter antihistamines, but check with your doctor first.
- If symptoms persist, speak with your doctor.
If you are wondering whether your symptoms are allergies or a cold, Dr. Schreiber explains that allergies are often accompanied by sneezing and itching whereas a cold may be accompanied by a fever.
Dr. Schreiber discussed this year’s allergy season in a recent interview with Fox 5 News. Watch the full interview here.