The Aquilino family and the Aquilino Cancer Center
For those who support a loved one through cancer treatment, the idea of a comprehensive cancer center can mean so much: time, convenience and comfort.
“I had to go through it, driving to different appointments, taking someone who’s frail in and out of the car,” recalls Michael Aquilino of Potomac. “When you’re going through cancer, time is so valuable. It will be great to have one place for their care.”
Aquilino began supporting cancer care projects at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital when his late wife, Tammy, battled cancer. “It was a difficult time,” he says, “but the treatment she received at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital was phenomenal.”
Aquilino and his family donated a suite in Tammy’s name to the hospital’s dedicated inpatient cancer care unit. He also supported plans for a freestanding cancer center.
“That was six years ago. It’s exciting to see the building up today,” Aquilino says.
The comprehensive services that will be offered inside the Shady Grove Adventist Aquilino Cancer Center are also a source of pride and excitement for Aquilino.
“The caliber of doctors and the collaboration around the latest cancer research and clinical trials will really elevate Shady Grove Adventist Hospital to another level, offering the community access and proximity to top-notch care close to home.”
Generous Gifts Support Greater Access To Health Care
The many services and programs that allow Adventist HealthCare to continue to provide comprehensive, quality cancer care to those in our community would not be possible without the generosity of donors. Members of the community have the opportunity to support vital initiatives that directly benefit families, friends and neighbors by donating to the Adventist HealthCare Foundations.
Support from generous donors continues to change the lives of community members. Here are some examples:
- Shady Grove Adventist Aquilino Cancer Center This facility will expand access to a wide range of coordinated services for cancer patients, bringing doctors, nurses, pain management specialists and complementary therapies together to deliver exceptional, compassionate care under one roof.
- Breast Cancer Screening Program This community screening program provides free screening services to underinsured and uninsured women. The program reduces the number of deaths related to breast cancer by making preventive health care and follow-up treatment accessible to all.
- Cancer Care Support Services A range of services help patients and families cope with a diagnosis of cancer: cancer care navigation services, support groups, palliative care services, integrative health therapies, nutritional counseling and cooking classes, massage therapy and meditation, yoga classes and fitness activities, education library and pastoral care services.
Every gift—small or large—helps provide access to health care for those who need it most. For more information on how to support cancer care services at Adventist HealthCare:
- Call the Shady Grove Adventist Hospital Foundation at 240-826-6570.
- Call the Washington Adventist Hospital Foundation at 301-891-6920.
- Visit us online at www.AdventistHealthCare.com/donate.