Learning that you or a loved one has prostate cancer can be overwhelming. Take time to educate yourself on the treatment options available. Dr. Manish Agrawal, medical oncologist at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, notes some of the following state-of-the-art treatment options:
- Prostate Seed Implantation (PSI): This involves the placement of tiny radioactive seeds in the prostate gland, which deliver high doses of radiation directly to the area of the tumor, with minimal side effects.
- Modern Surgical Options: Options include the state-of-the-art daVinci Robotic Surgical System, which allows doctors to perform minimally invasive procedures, such as a prostatectomy, with enhanced precision. Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery can perform a prostatectomy with only a few small incisions.
- External Beam Radiation: External beam radiation therapy utilizes high-powered beams of energy to destroy cancer cells. The high-energy beams come from the state-of-the-art linear accelerator that aims the beams at the prostate gland. This destroys cancer cells by eliminating the genetic material that controls how cells grow and divide.
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT): IMRT delivers precise radiation doses to a tumor or specific areas within the tumor. It allows higher radiation doses to be focused to regions within the tumor while minimizing the dose to surrounding normal critical structures. This stops cancer cells from dividing and growing, thus slowing or stopping tumor growth.
- Hormone Therapy: Hormone therapy stops the body from producing testosterone. Since prostate cancer cells rely on testosterone to help them grow, the hormone therapy cuts off the supply.
Every person is different and the right option for one person may not be right for another. Speak with your doctor about your unique situation.
If you or a loved one is facing prostate cancer, the care team at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital can help you. Visit www.YourCancerTeam.com for more information on treatment options and to request a free cancer care package filled with resources and materials.