In this heart-healthy recipe, avocado replaces the higher fat alternative, mayonnaise. Avocado is a great source of the heart-protecting, monounsaturated fats. These help increase the good cholesterol (HDL) and decrease bad cholesterol (LDL), explains Meaghan Butler, RD, a registered dietitian at Adventist HealthCare Washington Adventist Hospital.
Avocados are also high in fiber. Fiber is also healthy for the heart, as it has been proven to reduce “bad” LDL and overall cholesterol. Tip: Serve your chicken salad in a whole grain pita pocket for some added fiber!
Mayo-Free Avocado Chicken Salad
(Makes 2 servings)
- 1/2 medium avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1-2 tsp. course brown mustard
- 1/2-tsp. garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped vegetables of choice (e.g., radishes, carrots, purple cabbage)
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice and mix in the brown mustard, garlic powder and salt and pepper
- Mix in the chopped chicken breast and chopped veggies
- Serve on your favorite bread, crackers or vegetables
Note: If you need to store this in the refrigerator, try storing it with the avocado pit in the bowl to help keep it fresh.
- Calories: 190 calories
- Fat: 8.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 5.6 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 22.5 grams
Eating healthy is one great way to keep your heart in shape. Find out how healthy your heart is by taking our fast, FREE online health risk assessment.