Summer is in full swing, which means your family is probably hitting the beach, lake or park. With summer fun, also comes the opportunity for injury and it’s important to be prepared with a fully stocked First-Aid kit.
What Supplies Should I have In My First Aid Kit?
Use the following list as a baseline to decide what supplies to have in your personal First Aid kit:
- 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
- 1 blanket
- 1 breathing barrier with one-way valve
- 1 instant cold compress
- 2 pair of nonlatex gloves
- 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets
- 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
- 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
- 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
- 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
- 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
- 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
- 5 antibiotic ointment packets
- 5 antiseptic wipe packets
- 2 packets of aspirin
- Oral thermometer
- 2 triangular bandages
- First aid instruction booklet
Don’t Make These Common Mistakes
One of the biggest mistakes in a First Aid kit is having missing or expired supplies. Check your kit each year, perhaps on Memorial Day weekend as summer is starting, and replace any items that are near or past expiration dates.