Winter often means more time indoors, gathering together with loved ones for family dinners, exchanging gifts and telling stories. It’s important to keep your home safe for friends and relatives of all ages, especially kids and seniors who are more at risk for harming themselves. Check out these home safety tips to help you make it a safe winter!
Home Safety Tips for Kids from the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Close bathrooms when they are not being used.
- Prevent injuries or burns from faucets by covering the spout, blocking children’s reach to the spout, and teaching children not to touch the spout.
- Keep the temperature on your hot water heater set below 120 °F. Or, install an anti-scald valve to prevent the water from going above 120 °F.
- Keep harmful items such as shaving razors, hairdryers, radios and curling irons out of reach.
- Store cleaning products and any medicines in a secure location such as a locked cabinet.
Fall Prevention Tips for Seniors from Adventist Home Care Services:
- Adjust the height of your guest bed so it is easy to get in and out of.
- Have a night light within reach of the bed that is easy to turn on.
- Use nightlights throughout your home especially in hallways and bathrooms.
- Remove tripping hazards from your home such as loose throw rugs, loose wires or cords where people may be walking or uneven flooring in doorways.
- Place a slip-proof mat in the bathtub or shower.
If you experience a fall or accident that results in an emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately. The Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center Emergency Department, Shady Grove Adventist Emergency Center at Germantown, and the Washington Adventist Emergency Department are staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week to meet the emergency needs of our community.
Are you or a loved one in need of home health-care services? Adventist Home Care Services is here to help. Adventist Home Care Services has been serving the community for over 40 years, offering personal care to skilled help from a nurse or therapist. Our Adventist Home Health division is the only home health agency in the Maryland Suburban area and one of only two agencies in the state of Maryland to be named to the top 500 of the 2012 HomeCare Elite.
For more information, visit AdventistHomeCare.com or call 1-800-610-2447.
Sources: Home Safety Council, American Association of Retired Persons, Ready America, and Washington and Shady GroveAdventistHospitals. For additional information, consult your physician.