The theme of our July cooking class was a healthy summer cookout! Grilling outside is one of the best parts of summer, and we took full advantage during this month’s class, preparing mini turkey burger sliders!
When grilling, it’s important to choose quality meats and always add lots of veggies. The best quality red meats (beef, lamb, pork, veal) are those that have been grass fed and antibiotic free. With chicken and turkey, look for wording like “no antibiotics” or “never antibiotics used.” If a label only states “all natural,” do not pay extra for it, as there is no definition of “all natural” when it comes to meat.
Mini Turkey Burger Sliders
Yield: Makes 12
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey breast
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Cooking spray
- Avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced sweet gherkin pickle (about 2 small)
- 12 (1-ounce) dinner rolls (use whole grain rolls)
- 6 curly leaf lettuce leaves, torn in half
- Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl. Add cheese, stirring with a fork just until combined. Divide turkey mixture into 12 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/4-inch-thick patty.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Cut rolls in half horizontally. Place one turkey patty on roll and top with sliced avocado, pickles, lettuce and bun top.
- Cooked turkey patties can be wrapped and placed in freezer for later consumption. Reheat frozen patties by baking at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.