During our recent cooking class, we celebrated the holidays with tasty recipes that you might consider serving at your next holiday party or gathering. Each of our featured recipes included pomegranates, which have anti-cancer properties. They are natural aromatase inhibitors, which helps to prevent excess estrogen production, which is good for anyone with a history of breast cancer. For men, pomegranates can help slow the rise in prostate specific antigens.
Hope everyone has a happy and healthy holiday season!
Hibiscus Pomegranate Cooler
- 1/4 cup loose hibiscus tea, or 12 hibiscus tea bags
- 4 cups boiling water 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- Spritz of fresh lemon juice 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 16 frozen strawberries
- 24 frozen blueberries
Put the tea in a heatproof container. Pour in the boiling water and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain the tea into a pitcher. Stir in the cold water, pomegranate juice, lemon juice. Add the orange slices and mint and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until well chilled. Add the frozen strawberries and blueberries to individual glasses when serving. Makes nine cups.
Minted Guacamole with Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons red onion, small dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
In a medium size bowl, mash the avocado with a fork and add the red onion, lime juice, sea salt, cayenne, cilantro, mint and combine well. Add 2 tablespoons of the pomegranate seeds and combine. Garnish with the remaining pomegranate seeds.
Serve with chunks of red & green peppers and sliced jicama.