During this time of year, we just can’t get enough of those delicious fall flavors, but did you know that pumpkin spiced flavored treats can pack tons of sugar? In fact, just one 12-oz. Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte can pack 39 grams of sugar.
Eating too much sugar can lead to obesity and health problems like high blood pressure, diabetes and other conditions that can eventually cause plaque to build up in the heart’s arteries, explains Geetha F. Pinto, MD, a cardiologist and director of the Heart Failure Program at Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center.
The good news? You can get your pumpkin fix without the extra sugar. Try this heart-healthy Overnight Pumpkin Chia Parfait!
Overnight Pumpkin Chia Parfait
Yield: 2 servings
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Small pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup low fat Greek yogurt (plain)
- Chopped pecans (optional)
- In a large jar, add milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix ingredients
- Stir in chia seeds.
- Cover and keep in the refrigerator for at least four hours (or up to 24 hours)
- When ready to serve, mix in ½-cup Greek yogurt
- Layer chia seeds and yogurt in serving dish
- Option to garnish with chopped pecans
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (Serving size: 1/2 recipe)
- Calories: 180
- Total Fat: 12 grams
- Sodium: 570 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 38 grams
- Total Sugars: 15 grams
- Protein: 12 grams
People with diabetes are two to four more times likely to have heart disease than people without diabetes. Learn your risk of diabetes today!