Feeling tempted by all the sweet treats at work and school for the holidays? Skip the break-room cookies and try these tasty Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas for a healthy alternative to satisfy your sweet tooth.
“Chickpeas are high in fiber, potassium vitamin C and vitamin B-6, all of which support heart health. They are also a great source of protein, which will help keep you feeling full and satisfied long after your snack,” said Meaghan Butler, RD, an outpatient registered dietitian.
Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can (16 ounces) low-sodium chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- optional: pinch of salt
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Spread them out on a towel and dry well. If you have time, let them air-dry for 30 minutes. Remove any loose skins.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss chickpeas with melted coconut oil. Bake for 17 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon and salt if desired. Stir to evenly coat all chickpeas. Return to oven for two minutes.
- Let cool completely before enjoying or storing in airtight container.
- Calories: 169
- Total fat: 7 g
- Sodium: 268 g
- Total Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Dietary Fiber: 6 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g