Buzz off mosquitoes!
It’s that time of year when we all want to be outdoor soaking up some sun. Unfortunately, pesky mosquitoes are also out in full force during the summer. Nurse Rose Melendez tells us everything we need to know about mosquito bites.
What types of illness can be caused by mosquito bites?
Nurse Rose: We’ve all felt the familiar itch of a mosquito bite before, but mosquitoes can also carry some serious illnesses. While rare in our region, mosquito bites can also cause:
- West Nile virus
- Chikungunya virus
What are some signs of mosquito-borne illness?
Nurse Rose: If you notice any of these symptoms, see a doctor.
- Low-grade fever
- Sore throat
- Joint pain
How can we avoid illness caused by mosquitoes?
Nurse Rose: The best way to avoid getting sick from a mosquito is to avoid mosquito bites. Take these easy steps to help keep you and your family safe from mosquitoes.
- Wear mosquito repellent with DEET whenever you’re outdoors.
- Apply mosquito repellent after you’ve applied sunscreen
- Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts when outdoors, if possible
- Stay indoors with air conditioning when possible
- Remove standing bodies of water around your home