As the mornings get colder, you might crave something warm and comforting to start your day. This toasty breakfast cereal offers a balanced breakfast that will keep you feeling full and warm on chilly mornings!
“The almonds and ancient grain, farro, in this recipe help to keep you full and give you energy. They’re also a great source of fiber, which can help lower the bad, or LDL, cholesterol,” said Sheila Patterson, RD, CDE, an outpatient dietitian and certified diabetes educator. “Almonds also provide heart-healthy, unsaturated fats.”
Farro, Almond & Blueberry Breakfast Cereal
- ½ cup whole-grain farro
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground cinnamon
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup unsalted whole almonds, toasted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- In a small bowl, combine farro and enough water to cover. Soak in the refrigerator overnight. Drain off excess water.
- In a small saucepan, combine milk, salt, vanilla and cinnamon. Bring to boiling.
- Stir in farro; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until farro is tender.
- Stir in blueberries, two tablespoons of the almonds, the maple syrup and lemon peel.
- Cover and let stand five minutes or until blueberries are warmed.
- Spoon cereal into serving dishes. Sprinkle with the remaining two tablespoons almonds.
Tip: To toast nuts, spread in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden, shaking pan once or twice.
- Serving size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 230
- Total fat: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 240 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 33 g
- Total sugars: 7 g
- Protein: 8 g