The chilly winter months leave us craving warm, hearty food. Try this easy Lentil Chili for a tasty and budget-friendly meal that will keep you warm and boost your heart health!
“Lentils are a great source of plant-based protein to keep you full and are high in fiber, which can help lower your cholesterol,” said Sheila Patterson, RD, CDE, a registered dietitian. “The secret ingredient in this recipe — peanut butter — adds lots of flavor and heart-healthy fats.”
Eating a heart-healthy diet is just one great way to keep your heart in shape.
Slow-Cooker Lentil Chili
- 1 16 ounce bag brown lentils
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno (de-seed for mild flavor)
- 1 large carrot
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 28-ounce can canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp tomato
- 3-1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 2-3 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper (omit for mild flavor)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- Combine all ingredients, except peanut butter, into the slow cooker and cook on high for four hours.
- Add peanut butter, stir to combine. Cook for an additional one hour.